Last updated: October 20, 2022
The napari hub is a service of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (“CZI”) in collaboration with napari.
(2) What Personal Information We Collect About You
If you subscribe to our mailing list, we will collect personal identifiers such as your first name and last name and email address, that you provide by signing up on our Website.
Github and PyPl Data
Napari plugins are specialized Python packages. Our website exposes information about these packages that the authors have distributed on PyPI based on publicly available data from PyPI and Github. Learn more about PyPI’s data and privacy practices here, and view Github’s data and privacy practices here.
- If you do not want your plugin to appear on our Website, you can control this by changing Python metadata or napari hub configuration files. See “Customizing Your Plugin Listing” for details.
We do collect personal information about you when we pull information from Github and PyPl, which may include personal identifiers such as information provided in the author field (e.g., name and email address), or Github username or userid. We are unable to prevent disclosure of the information in the author field if it has been provided by the author to PyPI or Github.
- If you do not want the information in the author field to be displayed, please remove that information from the source website.
- If you do not want us to use your Github username or userid, then you can exercise your rights such as requesting deletion of your data.
We use the privacy-friendly Plausible as our website analytics tool which processes internet or other electronic network activity such as IP address to track overall trends in website traffic. Learn more about Plausible’s data and privacy practices here and view the public dashboard for napari.dev here.
Role as CZI Employee or Grantee
We may collect limited professional or employment-related information about you such as whether you are a CZI employee, contractor, or intern or a grant recipient of CZI.
We may collect publicly available information about you when you contribute to napari, napari plugins, and other open source tools in the scientific community.
Sensitive Personal Information
We do not collect sensitive personal information about our Users.
The services are not designed or intended for children under 16. We do not have actual knowledge that we have sold, shared, or collected the personal information of Users under 16 years of age.
(3) Use of Your Data
We use your data for the following business purposes:
Website Visitor Information
We use the data we collect about visitors to our Website as follows:
- To understand overall trends in website traffic.
- To send you newsletters and other communications (e.g., announcements about developments) that you sign up to receive.
- To communicate with you in order to respond to an email from you.
User Information from Github or PyPl and Other Sources
We use information collected from our User’s to understand and analyze the growth of the service and we may connect this information with other information we may have about you so that we can measure the impact our funding is having on the napari ecosystem (e.g., understanding whether a contributor to napari, its plugins, or other open source tools is a CZI employee or grant recipient).
(4) Disclosing Data.
- We will never sell your data or share it with anyone that will sell your data.
- We do not share your data for behavioral advertising purposes.
- We may disclose your data with service providers in order to provide our services and where we believe it is legally required or useful to protect or defend our rights or property or others; and/or to investigate or assist in preventing any violation of the law or harm to a person.
- We disclose your personal information identified in Section 2 to the following categories of service providers for business purposes:
- Analytics service providers
- Database hosts
- Email marketing service provider
(5) Your Rights
Applicable laws may provide you rights with request to your personal data, such as the right to access and/or delete your data, object to our use of your data, revoke your consent to our use of your data, correct your data, opt-out of the sale or sharing of data or limit the use of sensitive personal data, if applicable, and the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of these rights.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request to exercise your rights or have an authorized agent email us along with information sufficient for us to verify that the authorized agent is acting on your behalf.
(6) Do Not Track Signals
We don’t currently share personal data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, nor do we support any Do Not Track signals since there’s currently no standard for how online services respond to those signals.
(7) Retention and Deletion
We will keep your information only for as long as we believe that we need it for the purpose we have collected it (as described above) or to meet legal obligations, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements with you, or fulfill your request to unsubscribe from further messages from us. When your information is no longer needed, we will destroy, de-identify, or aggregate it so that you are not identifiable.
(8) Security of Your Information
Security of personal data is important to us. We implement security safeguards designed to protect your personal data, including reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal data from unauthorized access, use, alteration and destruction. Despite these efforts, we cannot guarantee that your data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, technical, or administrative safeguards.
(9) Data Transfer
We are based in the United States so when you engage with the Website or contribute to a publicly released napari plugin, you are sending personal data into the United States which may have different data protection rules than those of your country. We process data both inside and outside of the United States.
(10) Our Legal Bases
We will collect, use and disclose your personal data only where we have a legal right to do so. This section explains our legal bases for processing personal data, in the event GDPR applies.
- Consent. We rely on consent to engage in certain data collection activities, like when you consent to receive napari newsletters.
- Legitimate Interests. We rely on legitimate interests to process the personal data we collect when you browse our Website to improve and understand how our Website is being used and to process data we receive and connect that data with other information we have about you in order to better understand the impact our investments have on the community.
(11) How to Contact Us